What is the EPBD?
The Energy Performance of Buildings Directive (EPBD) was brought into force on 4 January 2003 with the principal objective to promote the improvement of the energy performance of buildings within the EU through cost-effective measures.
According to the UK Government, 40% of the UK’s energy consumption and carbon emissions come from the way the energy usage in our buildings are managed. Even comparatively small changes in energy performance and the way we use each building will have a significant effect in reducing total energy consumption.
Does it apply to me?
The Directive requires that:
- All properties (homes, commercial and public buildings) must have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) when sold, built or rented
- Larger public buildings over 500m² must display a Display Energy Certificate (DEC)
- All air-conditioning systems over 12kW must be regularly inspected by an Energy Assessor
The Main Aspects
There are four main aspects to the EPBD:
1. Establishment of a calculation methodology
2. Minimum energy performance requirements
3. Energy Performance Certificate
4. Inspections of boilers and Air-Conditioning
How can SDS help?
Our team of experienced and accredited professionals can provide:
We also offer mandatory associated services:
In addition to this we will provide recommendations for improving your energy rating based on the type of construction, thermal insulation, heating system and lighting. Contact us for more information.