With BREEAM assistance from SDS, Heron Bros Ltd picked up “Sustainable Building Project of the Year” at the recent Sustainable Ireland Awards on 8th September 2016 for Belfast City Council’s Innovation Factory at Forthriver Business Park.
The award winning Innovation Factory was designed and built on a brown field site formerly used for various industrial activities. The turnkey design and build project provides approximately 55,000 square feet of innnovation space which will support up to 400 jobs.
- 55,000 square feet
- BREEAM “Very Good” rating
- Solar power “Photovoltaic” system installed
- High energy efficiency
- Considerate Constructors Scheme score of 45
- Heron Bros handed project over 3 weeks ahead of schedule
The business centre has an excellent internal acoustic rating, natural light and ventilation which contributes to providing a comfortable environment for all building users.
The accommodation includes 382 workstations across 111 business units and will house more than 100 businesses and entrepreneurs at full capacity. The offices are fully fitted to Grade A standard and provide flexibility to allow expansion as individual tenants grow. Fully serviced facilities include:
- Excellent telecoms including superfast broadband
- 24/7 access for tenants
- Onsite parking
- Meeting and conference facilities
- In-house catering
- Ten minutes travel by car from city centre
Located in proximity to one of Belfast’s well-known peace lines, the £9 million project required careful coordination and continual liaison (through Heron Bros Considerate Constructors Programme) with local community groups, residents, Belfast City Council and police to gain complete community support for the project.
Forthriver Innovation Factory offers huge potential to socially regenerate this wider area and become a catalyst in bringing more jobs and opportunities to those living nearby, as well as the wider city.
- CONCEPT ARCHITECT: McAdam Deign
- ARCHITECT: GM Design
- SERVICES ENGINEER: JCP, Michael Nugent Ltd, Williams & Shaw
- STRUCTURAL ENGINEER: McAdam Design, Thompson Barr
- BREEAM ASSESSOR: Ecoteric SDS Ltd (part of the SDS Energy Group)