Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Method
What is BREEAM?
The Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Methodology (BREEAM) sets the standard for best practice in sustainable building design, construction and operation and has become one of the most comprehensive and widely recognised measures of a building's environmental performance.
BREEAM addresses wide-ranging environmental and sustainability issues and encourages clients to think about low carbon and low impact design, minimising the energy demands created by a building before considering energy efficiency and low carbon technologies. It enables developers, designers and building managers to demonstrate the environmental credentials of their buildings to clients, planners and other initial parties. It uses a straightforward scoring system that is transparent, flexible, easy to understand and supported by evidence-based science and research, has a positive influence on the design, construction and management of buildings. It defines and maintains a robust technical standard with rigorous quality assurance and certification.
Who does it apply to?
- BREEAM covers all building types, schools, healthcare buildings, offices, industrial units and more. There are also a number of variations for the housing sector (Community, Non-Domestic and Domestic scale projects)
- It applies to both new and existing buildings in the UK (New Construction, In-Use and Refurbishment)
- Clients, planners development agencies, funders and developers use BREEAM to specify the sustainability performance of their buildings in a way that is quick, comprehensive, highly visible in the marketplace and provides a level playing field
- Property agents use it to promote the environmental credentials and benefits of a building to potential purchasers and tenants
- Design teams use it as a method to improve the performance of their buildings and their own experience and knowledge of environmental aspects of sustainability
- Managers use it to reduce running costs, measure and improve the performance of buildings, empower staff, develop action plans and monitor and report performance at both the single building and portfolio level
How can SDS help?
SDS is a specialist provider of BREEAM Assessments. If you are interested in commissioning a BREEAM assessment, we can help you establish which scheme applies to you and take you through each step of the process in order attain your certification. Our fully qualified and licensed BREEAM Assessors understand the process and technical issues covered by the schemes. They will interpret the requirements of each issue in relation to your scheme, communicate these requirements to you and liaise with the project team to collate the evidence which needs to be submitted along with the assessment report.
Our BREEAM Assessments use recognised measures of performance, which are set against established benchmarks, to evaluate each building’s specification, design, construction and use. The measures used represent a broad range of categories and criteria from energy to ecology. They include aspects related to energy and water use, the internal environment (health and well-being), pollution, transport, materials, waste, ecology and management processes.
Talk to us
We are interested in your specific energy requirements and any challenges you may currently be facing. Please feel free to request a free energy consultation.